Finding consistency in performance in T20Is is not an easy task. Batters and bowlers have found it extremely hard to be at the top of their games for a longer period of time. However, some of the greats of the game have shown immense consistency. In this article, we will take a look at players who have the most consecutive fifties in T20Is.
Most consecutive 50s in T20Is
The record for the most consecutive 50s is four. There are six batters who have scored four half-centuries in a row in T20I cricket. There have been more than 50 players who have scored three half-centuries in a row. Here is a list of players who have scored four fifties in a row in T20Is.
|Player||Consecutive 50s||Runs||Opposition||Match Date|
|Brendon McCullum (New Zealand)||4||59||West Indies||28th December, 2008|
|61||Australia||15th February, 2009|
|56*||India||25th February, 2009|
|69*||India||27th February, 2009|
|Chris Gayle (West Indies)||4||85*||New Zealand||30th June, 2012|
|53||New Zealand||1st July, 2012|
|54||Australia||22nd September, 2012|
|58||England||27th September, 2012|
|Craig Williams (Namibia)||4||81||Uganda||5th April, 2021|
|57||UAE||5th October, 2021|
|50||Scotland||9th October, 2021|
|57||PNG||10th October, 2021|
|Rayyan Pathan (Canada)||4||52||Bermuda||11th November, 2021|
|56*||Argentina||13th November, 2021|
|107*||Panama||14th November, 2021|
|73||Philippines||18th February, 2022|
|Gustav McKeon (France)||4||76||Czech Republic||24th July, 2022|
|109||Switzerland||25th July, 2022|
|101||Norway||27th July, 2022|
|87||Estonia||30th July, 2022|
|Reeza Hendricks (South Africa)||4||57||England||27th July, 2022|
|53||England||28th July, 2022|
|70||England||31st July, 2022|
|74||Ireland||3rd August, 2022|
Brendon McCullum (New Zealand)
- Brendon McCullum was the first player to score four half-centuries in a row in T20Is. McCullum’s first fifty came in a match against West Indies. McCullum scored 59 runs in 34 balls hitting six fours and four sixes.
- McCullum’s second fifty came against Australia when New Zealand toured their trans-Tasman rivals. The Kiwi opener scored 61 runs in 47 balls hitting five fours and two sixes.
- His third fifty came against India. McCullum scored 56 runs in 49 balls hitting two fours and three sixes.
- McCullum’s fourth fifty came against India. He scored 69 runs in 55 balls hitting eight fours and one six.
Chris Gayle (West Indies)
- Chris Gayle became the second batter to score four fifties in a row. His 1st of four fifties came against New Zealand. Gayle scored 85 runs in 52 balls hitting seven fours and five sixes.
- He scored the second fifty against New Zealand. Gayle scored 53 runs in 39 balls hitting three fours and four sixes.
- His third fifty came in the 2012 T20 World Cup against Australia. Gayle scored 54 runs in 33 balls hitting five fours and four sixes.
- His fourth consecutive fifty came against England later in the tournament. Gayle scored 58 runs in 35 balls hitting six fours and four sixes.
Craig Williams (Namibia)
- Uganda toured Namibia in 2012 and in the 3rd T20I, Craig Williams scored his first of the four consecutive fifties. Williams scored 81 runs in 49 balls hitting 12 fours and one six.
- Williams scored his second half-century against UAE. He scored 57 runs in 37 balls hitting seven fours and two sixes.
- His third fifty came against Scotland while chasing. Williams scored 50 runs in 37 balls hitting seven fours and two sixes.
- His fourth fifty came against PNG. Williams scored 57 runs in 43 balls hitting three fours and two sixes.
Rayyan Pathan (Canada)
- Rayyan Pathan scored one of his four fifties in a row in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup Americas Region Qualifier against Bermuda. Pathan scored 52 runs in 31 balls hitting fours fours and three sixes.
- His second half-century came against in the same tournament against Argentina while chasing. Pathan scored 56 runs in 24 balls hitting three fours and five sixes.
- In the same tournament, Pathan scored a century against Panama. He scored 107 runs in 62 balls hitting nine fours and seven sixes.
- Pathan scored his fourth fifty in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup Qualifier against the Philippines. He scored 73 runs in 44 balls hitting nine fours and two sixes.
Gustav McKeon (France)
- Gustav McKeon scored his first of the four fifties in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup Sub Regional Europe Qualifier against the Czech Republic. McKeon scored 76 runs in 54 balls hitting eight fours and one six.
- His second fifty came against in the same tournament against Switzerland. McKeon scored a century. He scored 109 runs in 61 balls hitting five fours and nine sixes.
- His third fifty was too converted into a century. McKeon scored 101 runs in 53 balls hitting five fours and eight sixes. This is also the record for scoring the most consecutive centuries in T20Is.
- McKeon scored his fourth fifty against Estonia. McKeon scored 87 runs in 51 balls hitting nine fours and five sixes.
Reeza Hendricks (South Africa)
- Reeza Hendricks scored his first of the four fifties. The half-century came when South Africa toured England. Hendricks scored 57 runs in 33 balls hitting nine fours and one six.
- His second fifty came in the same series. Hendricks scored 53 runs in 32 balls hitting three fours and two sixes.
- In the same series, Hendricks scored his third consecutive half-century. The South African opener scored 70 runs in 50 balls hitting nine fours.
- In the same tour, South Africa played against Ireland. Hendricks scored 74 runs in 53 balls hitting 10 fours and one six.
In T20 cricket, a few players were incredibly dependable, hitting numerous fifties on the international scene. Legends like Chris Gayle and Brendon McCullum made history by using half-centuries to defeat the best cricket players four times in a row. Craig Williams, Rayyan Pathan, Gustav McKeon and Reeza Hendricks each contributed a chapter and showed consistent performance throughout several competitions. The consistency of the game was altered by their achievements, which ranged from Pathan’s ICC supremacy to McKeon’s century-plus innings. These athletes have created an enduring legacy in T20 cricket by inspiring others to strive for excellence. They are the epitome of tenacity and knowledge.