Cricket, often referred to as a game of partnerships, not only thrives on the field but also fosters enduring friendships off it. Regardless of their origins, cultures, or nationalities, cricketers find common ground in their shared love for the sport. These friendships often become sources of unwavering support and camaraderie. Let’s delve into the top 10 off-field friendships in the world of cricket:
- Virat Kohli And AB de Villiers:
This dynamic duo found their friendship while playing for the Royal Challengers Bangalore in the IPL. Beyond their on-field chemistry, their social media accounts showcase their strong bond, with wholesome photos of their quality time together.
- MS Dhoni And Suresh Raina: Fondly known as Thala and Chinna Thala by Chennai Super Kings fans, this pair’s friendship extends beyond the cricket field. Raina is not only Dhoni’s on-field partner but also his close friend, sharing a special bond that goes beyond the game.
- Smriti Mandhana And Jemimah Rodrigues: Mandhana, known for her calm demeanor, and Rodrigues, with her boisterous and goofy nature, form an unlikely yet endearing friendship. Their fans adore their heartwarming singing sessions and playful pranks.
- Marcus Stoinis And Adam Zampa: These Australian cricketers share a visible bromance both on and off the field. They openly express their friendship and affection for each other. Their coffee sessions, humorously dubbed “Love Café” by Stoinis, are a testament to their camaraderie.
- Kumar Sangakkara And Mahela Jayawardene: This Sri Lankan cricket legend pair forged a formidable partnership on the field and a brotherly bond off it. Their friendship dates back to their teenage years and includes memorable on-field moments, including a record-breaking 624-run partnership.
- Sachin Tendulkar And Sourav Ganguly: The iconic opening duo of Tendulkar and Ganguly had a remarkable on-field connection. Their friendship continued off the field, evident in the pictures they share, reflecting their enduring camaraderie.
- KL Rahul And Mayank Agarwal: These two cricketers have been friends since their U-13 days and are vital to Karnataka Cricket. Their bond extends beyond the pitch, with KL Rahul even humorously promising to be the “third wheel” between Mayank and his wife.
- Harbhajan Singh And Yuvraj Singh: Known for their jovial personalities, these two cricketers developed their friendship during their junior-level cricket days. They played together at the senior level and were part of the 2011 World Cup-winning team, often playfully teasing each other on social media.
- Hardik Pandya And KL Rahul: Pandya and Rahul share a strong bond both on and off the field. Pandya considers Rahul his “brother from another mother.” Despite a controversy sparked by their remarks on a show, their friendship remains intact, and they often share quality time together.
- MS Dhoni And DJ Bravo: Dhoni and Bravo’s bromance is a familiar sight, particularly during the IPL. The West Indies cricketer looks up to Dhoni as an elder brother, even producing an album titled “Helicopter 7” dedicated to his friend. Their playful antics, like grabbing each other’s collars during the T20 World Cup, highlight their enduring bond.
These cricketing friendships transcend boundaries and cultures, showcasing the unifying power of the sport and the lasting connections it creates.